Saturday, January 7, 2012 | By: Anita

Thinking

To think or not to think, that is the question .....to misquote Shakespeare. It's not a very realistic question since one cannot simply not think.

Are you aware that your mind is always occupied with thoughts? Are you aware that thoughts constantly demand your attention, dictate your behavior and reactions?

Do you sometimes feel that your mind is going to explode from nonstop thinking? Can you focus your attention on what you are doing at any moment, or are you constantly distracted by all kinds of thoughts.

I'm one of those people who need time to think things through. To process my ideas, thoughts and decisions. For faithful readers, I'm sure you've noticed that sometimes there appears to be a lull in my blog postings. But if you read the dates you'll notice that they are not that far apart. You see, I'll come up with a blog idea and start writing, but then I need to let it sit. So I leave it, sitting in the Que, waiting until I can finish thinking it all through so I can write it coherently.

Some of the best thinking time for me is when I am walking our dog. Sasha and I will take our daily walk down the quiet, almost deserted side road allowing her the freedom to be off leash and allowing me the freedom to think. And oh boy do I think. Sometimes I think that I think too much. Does that even make sense?

I find that if I want to avoid making big mistakes, it's important to learn to think through a problem. This means learning to think not just about how an idea can succeed, but also how it can fail. Most of us, of course, don't like to do this. We tend to do the same thing over and over again and yet we expect different results. According to Albert Einstein that is the very definition of Insanity.

When faced with a decision - which job to take, which college to attend, which car to buy - what do you do? If you can’t figure out the consequences, can you do any better than guessing? If not, it can then lead to a bad decision. When we can’t be certain a change will work out for the better, by default we stay put.

When opportunity arises to speak into the lives of those around me I like to use this pictograph as a guide. and if not, is it worth being said?

Blessings

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

DO you think all our access to an overwelming amount of information cause us to overthink, over research, over whatever, each thought and decision we make? In days of old, the decision was "do I go out in the field today and work the land so we can eat or do I ride into town and gossip at the local feed store?" I think our lives have become complicated but it is what it is. So continue to pray, ask for discernment and live! Yes, mistakes will be made, lemons will be bought but it's all a learning process.
Wow! I didn't know I had so much to say. :)

Anonymous said...

BTW, I left the comment.
Rain