Sunday, January 8, 2012 | By: Anita

Journalling

Each year I like to buy myself a new journal. One that is pleasing to the eye. I also like to find a pen that fits well with the journal. Preferably one that doesn't leave ink blobs throughout the pages.

I like to journal. No, that's not accurate. I need to journal. I need a place where I can write down all the thoughts, different ideas and decisions that roam though my head. I find it to be a place where I can reflect back on the times throughout my life. It's a gentle reminder to me that even when things at the time might seem bad, I can re-read about how I dealt with it and hopefully can learn from it. It can help me realize that even though I might feel overwhelmed {again} by my circumstances that this too shall pass. Those words can be a great encouragement to me.

I love how a new journal just opens up a world of possibilities. Every page is new, and I get to write down my thoughts and imagination. I don't always use my imagination to full potential, and can get into little ruts with writing, but not so when I start a new journal. I don't really consider myself as a writer, someone who other people would enjoy reading. But when I remember that I write in my journal and usually blog every couple of days, then I start to think, is that the makings of a writer?

Except, I haven't written one word in my new journal. It's not that I haven't found a nice new ball point pen. It's not that I've nothing to say or write about. Since I've obviously written several posts already this year. It's that I am daunted by that first page. It seems that the first page of a journal should have something profound written on it. Something that isn't just the usual jibber-jabber. Something that wants to make you keep writing/reading. Which is probably why almost all of my journals have the first page ripped out. Kind of dumb, huh?

It seems that when you start a blog, there is the pressure to keep writing. Before you know it you start to gather a few followers and these comments of "oh you haven't blogged in a while" or "I checked your blog and there was nothing new", start to arise. I must admit that I too am guilty of these thoughts as I read many other blogs, and tend to wonder the same things.

But you see, I don't write for you. I write for me. If there are lapses in my postings, it could be because I'm thinking - see previous post. Yes, it does excite me when someone who has read the blog decides to add a comment, cause, I do like to read what they've written. After all, we can all use some encouraging words.

Blessings

4 comments:

krystle ann-marie said...

Thank you for this. I found it very enlightening as a fellow journaler/blogger. And I write for me too! Very uplifting and a good reminder. :)

Candice said...

So what's the difference between a blog and a journal? ( from someone who used to have a blog and now can't remember how to access it...)

Anita said...

Candice, there is not a lot of difference between a blog and a journal. For me my journal is something only for me to read,a nd I share my blog with whoever finds it and is interested in what I am writing. Would love to see more posts on your blog, I enjoy reading what you write.

Becky said...

your children will be blessed by your Journals when you are gone *( I know that sounds morbid....)but it will keep them linked to you to reflect on your thoughts and feelings....you inspire me to Journal...but i am just not motivated enough yet...

someday
Bliss