Saturday, December 21, 2013 | By: Anita

Expectations

I’ve been thinking, {scary, I know} with Christmas just around the corner and the family all coming home for the holidays, I must admit I have been having a few moments of sheer panic... there is such pressure of making it special, added stress of wanting everything to be magical and mix in a little worry involved in trying to create the wonder.

Why do my expectations have to be so high? Why do I hold myself responsible for the joy of it all? Not just for myself, but for everyone else.

I have this image in my own mind that Christmas should be something grand. You certainly won’t see the hubs getting himself into a stressful frenzy trying to make Christmas magical and wonderful. I guess one could argue that if we left Christmas up to the old boy nothing would get done at all! And there may be a little truth in that, but maybe we can learn something from him.

Sometimes I have big dreams that have to be laid aside because I just can’t do it all.

Profound statement, I know, but I bet you can relate.

It hurts my heart to confess that I just can’t maintain it, but I can’t. And every time I try I fail miserably.

And then it came, ever so gently, “let go”.

And there it was, so simple yet so profound.

So I let go of my idea to create amazing foodies, have the Pinterest perfect décor, be the hostess with the mostest.
I am letting go of the need to be perfect.
I am letting go of the need to perform.
I am letting go of the need to please.
I am letting go of the need to pretend.
Sure, it’s great to do things for others at this time of year. To show our love through our decorations, food and hospitality.

But I must confess that I. Just. Can’t. Do. It. All.

And you know what? I am no longer going to allow myself to believe that Christmas is all up to me!

How about you? What are you finding the need to let go of?

Blessings

1 comments:

Becky said...

Thank...needed to read that today....feeling a bit nostalgic...not having a " traditional" Christmas at the Gerbers this year...feeling a bit guilty....it is about making of NEW memories!

Merry Christmas to your family from our family....

Bliss