Friday, December 20, 2013 | By: Anita

Drop the "P"

My house is NOT very Pinteresting.
I’ve never made a pennant banner, and I don’t own spray paint or Mod Podge. Seriously, did God know about Pinterest when He told us to love our neighbour? Didn’t He know we’d break out in a cold sweat at the thought of creating the perfect centerpiece and folding our napkins like swans?

As a woman, wife, and mother, I know how important our homes are. It might be old-fashioned, but I still think of myself as the keeper of my house ~ and I do want it to be nice. I have to be careful that my desire for “nice” doesn’t clash with my inner desire for perfection. It’s tempting to compare my lived-in house to touched-up, professionally-staged rooms that are Photoshopped.

I tend to be judgmental. I admit it. I struggle to stop comparing myself to other women in appearance, status, and in… well everything. I see other women who have their lives all perfectly put together and I feel bad. So I judge them.

I try to pick out the little things about them that make me feel better about myself. And then the comparisons, judgements, and self talk start happening.

Have you ever wished to be gifted in a certain area? Not necessarily because it was a desire of your heart, but because you noticed that gift in another person? I have.

I'm not talking about having dreams and goals of what you would like to accomplish one day. I'm talking about comparing the gifts and talents of others to your own. And, in doing so, making yourself feel inferior because you may not have those same gifts.

I know that God can use me. But, if I spend too much time limiting Him by comparing myself with others, I may lose out on what He has planned.  Just like it reminds us in Jeremiah 29:11 {New International Version {NIV}} “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” 

I need so much grace everyday, in my life, my marriage and especially with my friends. It’s a good reminder that we are all just trying to do the best we can with flawed personalities. I have been consciously trying to see other people as God sees them... as he sees ME!

We all live interesting lives. So let's agree to just drop the “P” and offer encouragement and grace instead of comparisons and judgements.

Blessings

0 comments: