Friday, December 7, 2012 | By: Anita

Misfit

After more than 45 years, the 1964 holiday special Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer is still one of the best Christmas stories.
 
Narrated by Burl Ives, Sam the Snowman tells the tale of a young red-nosed reindeer who, after being teased and shunned by the other reindeer because of his beaming nose, teams up with Hermey, an elf who wants to be a dentist, and Yukon Cornelius, the prospector. They run into the Abominable Snowman and find a whole island of misfit toys. Rudolph vows to see if he can get Santa to help the toys, and he goes back to the North Pole on Christmas Eve. But Santa's sleigh is fogged in. Rudolph becomes a hero when he guides Santa through the storm and enables him to deliver Christmas presents to children all over the world.

During one of the scenes Hermey & Rudolf sing their song about being misfits.
We're a couple of misfits
We're a couple of misfits
What's the matter with misfits
That's where we fit in!

We're not daffy and dilly
Don't go 'round willy nilly
Seems to us kinda silly
That we don't fit in.

We may be different from the rest
Who decides the test
Of what is really best?

We're a couple of misfits
We're a couple of misfits
What's the matter with misfits
That's where we fit in!


Sadly, I can identify with these two. There are days when I too feel like I am a misfit. Not quite fitting in, not one of 'in' crowd, but desperately trying to find my place. If we all have our own different gifts, strengths, weaknesses, abilities, likes & dislikes, why then do I feel that I am such a misfit?

Recently I updated my facebook cover photo and my desktop background photo with these two characters.  This time of year I really struggle with fiting in, with everyone and their dog {or so it seems} having plans to gather together - I must admit I feel a little alot left out.

Seeing this photo each time I use the computer or log onto facebook it reminds me that even though I may feel like a mifit and that I don't belong - I sing the little jingle, I may be different from the rest and remind myself that God has a plan, purpose and a path for me just like it says in: Jeremiah 29:11 New International Version (NIV) "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Blessings

0 comments: