Tuesday, December 18, 2012 | By: Anita

Hearth & Hearts

Our corn stove died shut-down on Saturday.
gulp!

Not a good way to start the weekend.

Living in Ontario, only minutes from Lake Huron, we’ve seen our share of winter the past many years. Thankfully, our only little source of heat for the country farm house stopped working on a weekend that was un-commonly warm, so we didn’t freeze to death.

As the farmer spent hours upon hours cleaning the fan, the clinker, the auger and everything else related to the stove in an attempt to clear any blockage and get it working, I couldn’t help but think of our lives, our own hearts.

I thought of the times I had distanced myself to “protect” my heart, though it had not only caused separation, but had caused it to close-down. I thought of the areas of struggle ~ sin ~ in my life, which, when not confessed, over time had caused an obstruction towards God’s Spirit. I remembered the times of pain which caused me to question God. Had it drawn me closer or was I at a standstill? Had I bought into the lie of the world that the tough, independent spirit will get you through anything life? Or was I drawn to the hope found in God’s truth? Was my heart opened towards Him?

Has your heart become “blocked” through the tough things of life? Have you put up the tough exterior just to get through the pain of your circumstance? Are you able to hear God’s voice in your day to day? Or has the closure dulled your spirit? Rendered you ineffective?

There’s HOPE found here, “I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.” Ezekiel 36:26 New International Version (NIV)

call. on. Him. today.

Blessings

0 comments: