Monday, May 6, 2013 | By: Anita

Hired {Wo} Man

My husband was born and raised in the country. In 1987; we bought the family farm and if we stay here until 2027, it’ll have been in the family for 100 years.
I however, was not raised in the country, so when he first needed me to drive tractor, I was frozen in fear. They say that there are two types of rural women: those who NEVER drive equipment and those who ALWAYS do. There seems to be no in-between.. . ... . When our boys were teens they ended up helping their dad with field work, stone picking and general farm chores. Now that both boys are out on their own, the ‘extra’ pair of hands needed on the farm has fallen to me.

Sitting in that 120-horse power tractor pulling a cultivator, for the first time, to say I was overwhelmed was an understatement. Thankfully I was placed in a field where there was nothing to do but drive. It’s been many years since that first time and I have now become quite comfortable behind the wheel. Although, truth be told I still need a reminder lesson each and every spring.

Working with my husband is quite often a blessing ~ to work side-by-side and share in the day to day life on the farm over a steaming cup of coffee/tea helps us stay engaged in each other’s lives, adding to the health and well-being of our marriage.

He has a heart for farming and the laid-back way of life it offers us and while our lifestyle may seem simple it’s something I am proud to share with my man. We were blessed to raise our family on the farm instilling in them a good work ethic and an understanding to lend a hand when needed.

I am a rural woman, and yes, I really do drive the tractor, pick stones, pick up the seed, hook-up equipment, return the fertilizer spreaders and end up helping with pretty much anything else needed during these crazy busy seasons.

Blessings

0 comments: