Thursday, May 16, 2013 | By: Anita

Book Snob

I am an avid reader, BUT I'm also a very picky reader.  A book really has to grab my attention and keep it.  I am a book snob.  I am.  I admit it.
 
~ Life is too short to read bad books ~ Joy Daniels ~

Now I wonder ~ where is the line between being a snob, and just expressing a personal preference, or being a snob and expecting something good from writers?

 
At different points in my life, like maybe right now, I’ve confessed to being a book snob. For the longest time, I gave up fiction .. .  afterall, what can you learn from fiction?
These days, as is obvious, I’m all about fiction. But now I fight back my snobbiness in other ways ~ like my disdain for the Fifty Shades series by E.L. James.

But in my defence I’ll maintain that I’m getting better as I get older ~ more tolerant and accepting and perhaps even more snobby. Believing that some books are better than others does not make you a snob. Neither does excluding certain genres from your reading life, provided you’ve tried a few of them before deciding it’s not for you. We should never be made to feel bad about what we are reading. And more importantly we never should judge what other people are reading. People who feel bad about what they’re reading could stop reading. It does not matter about who the author is. The only thing a book should be judged on is the words inside. And definitely not by it’s cover ~ although I must admit I am a little guilty of this.

We all have the right to share the books we love, whether those books are literature or entertainment, difficult or easy, well-crafted or poorly written. Ultimately, people like what they like and that's fine. And while “It's all just a matter of taste,” might ultimately be true, we shouldn’t just accept whatever the media is churning out, or give in to social convention and read the #1 bestseller, cause truth be told it’s not always the right one for you.

It is not snobbish to argue that some books are better than others. There are too many good books out there to waste time reading a bad book. Because if there is no such thing as a “good” book, what is the point of reading at all?

Anyone else had similar snobby feelings towards books?

Blessings

1 comments:

krystle ann-marie said...

Looks like I will have to add some of those titles to my Summer Book List! I like Sophie Kinsella's writing.