Saturday, May 4, 2013 | By: Anita

But, you don't look sick

Is probably what I’ve heard the most since I’ve been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and a few other interesting diagnosis - you can read about that here: and  probably the most frustrating.

This website ~ But you don't look sick  that was shared with me really helps to explain things.  If someone you know has been diagnosed with an auto-immune disorder ~ please take the time to read these amazing articles.  And then maybe, just maybe ~ you can get a glimpse of what we deal with. Each and every day.

Those with invisible chronic illnesses feel vulnerable, living in a world of healthy and whole people. We tend to walk around with our masks on and only let the mask slip a little bit to let the nearest and dearest of friends and family who know of our illness, see the real us. But we shouldn’t have to live this way.

Having an auto-immune disorder {invisible illness} can be and has been a real struggle. For the past several years, I’ve tried to explain my limitations and what I deal with every single day and a lot of people still don’t understand. But, I have become good better at advocating for myself.
 
I try to get through each day being thankful for the many things I do have and still can do and give God the glory He deserves.  Some days are better than others.
This quote from Theodore Roosevelt has really been an encouragement to me.  It's one thing to know your limitations and quite another to accept them and to live within them.

Here's my modification to the Serenity prayer:
God grant me the patience to welcome the limitations that I have
to bravely embrace each day as it comes
and the foresight to live within them.

Blessings

1 comments:

krystle ann-marie said...

That spoon theory article helped me to understand just a little bit more of what you go through, Mom! I realized I have been very ignorant and almost selfish of my good health. Wow, is all I can say! :)