Thursday, November 8, 2012 | By: Anita

Kickin' up dust

These dang laminate wood floors, they hide nothing. Pretty when given attention, which I haven’t done in since . … . .. .. hmhmmhm. With my foot I make an arc in the dust. Eyeing the dining room furniture says the same story. We could probably play tic tac toe on every surface. Around the corner, laundry piles are patiently waiting for their turn in the washer while clean clothes await the lift up the stairs to be put away. Books are piled beside my bed waiting for a brief moment to capture and lure me away to another era. Behind me, dirty breakfast dishes sit homeless because I still need to wash, dry and put them away in the cupboards.

I sighed a bit dejected and shake my head.

“I need a maid,” I say to myself. 


By my own admission there’s no justifying a maid. Not when I’m only working part-time, and whose three kids have moved out more than two years ago now. With it only being me and the farmer - there really is no excuse. I seem to have more on my to-do list than I’m willing to give time to. Unfortunately, housekeeping gets put on the back burner, so much it seems that its fallen off the stove top entirely. Maybe I’ve allowed myself to much freedom in what I should accomplish in a day.. .. ….

Farmer comes home and he doesn’t see the dust on the floor, the dishes piled by the sink, the laundry not finished, he’s only worried if dinner is ready. Nightfall settles in and I’m tired.
 

It’s times like this when I wish there a little fairy
that would come in and wave her magic wand and poof, the dishes, the laundry, the dusting, the sweeping, the daily to-do’s are crossed off the list - giving me a chance to breathe.   You can tell by the state of my home that I’m sitting down more these days than I used to, and housework is definitely at the bottom of the totem pole.

For over 25 years, I’ve been writing my thoughts, ideas, desires and prayer concerns in journals, I’ve always felt a pull towards words.  I like this quote from Eric Liddell from the movie Chariots of Fire “I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure”.  That’s sort of how feel with writing. I’d like to think God is smiling when I share my thoughts, opinions and viewpoints.

It can be the same for you too. Maybe it’s something like writing or painting or scrapbooking. Or raising babies or volunteering at your kid’s school. We’ve all been given different gifts, desires and abilities. It’s what you do with it that truly matters. It’s your decision ~ but trust me it is worth it.

Blessings

1 comments:

krystle ann-marie said...

Sometimes, I wish for that magical fairy too. Oh wait, I call her Mom ;) Thanks for all the times you come over and make my workload lighter. It is really appreciated, even if I don't say it or show it all the time. :)