Sunday, November 4, 2012 | By: Anita

Feeling behind?

We live our lives in measurable minutes, looking to the clock, the paycheck, the success of others. I got a job. I’m winning! She got the job. I lose. I got the good metabolism. I’m winning! I’ve got health issues. I lose. I have food, a home, clothes: I win! I worry, I pout, I covet: I lose.

And the cycle circles frantic on the level of our soul. We only let it go on because we don’t realize it’s happening.
It’s become normal, familiar, and automatic. For some, the motivation is to win. For others, it is simply not to lose. I know it’s simplified here, but isn’t it true? Perhaps the reason we feel behind is because we’re chasing the wrong goal.

We are tricked into believing that the only relief from feeling behind is to catch up. We can’t but we try, and in our rush to get there we drop all the things we hold dear in order to lighten the load. Art is the first to go. Then patience, faith, and peace are tossed into a heap on the grass beside the track. But instead of a lightness, there more of a heaviness instead.

Show me where it says you are supposed to do it all. Point to the truth words that say you are expected to catch up. I want to see. Jesus reminds us in Matthew 11:28-30 {New International Version (NIV)} “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Release every detail of the job to him, from the equipment to the schedule. Tell him, cry if you must, close your eyes and believe. Unclench those hands. Feel the wheel begin to slow beneath you. Dare yourself to let it be true for you.

What if there is no behind? What if there is only right now, this moment? Would anything be different?

Blessings

1 comments:

Anneliese said...

You put so much thought into your writing and challenge readers to think. It's a good thing.
Love the final focus on that verse! I need to remember!