Friday, November 23, 2012 | By: Anita

it's your choice

sometimes establishing your boundaries can be the very foundation needed for all of the decisions you will make. it can be one of the most powerful and empowering part of any process because you are in control.

with my people-pleasing personality i really struggle with having anyone mad at me. i tend to let their decisions/frustrations/happiness sway me to doing things that i am not particularly wanting to do just to keep the peace. i need to learn to keep my feelings about the feelings of others in check. in fact it’s pivotal.

sometimes the simplest way is to just be honest.. .. .. mmhmhmm .. .. where did I get that from.

the reality of life is that things change and adapting to any change can bring a certain level of stress.

however ~  ~ ~
i am not responsible for {fill-in-the-blank family member/friend’s} happiness.
if ______ is mad, that is his/her feeling, and it doesn’t have to affect me.
i cannot make ___________ happy.
it’s okay that i am happy and he/she is not.
good boundaries mean that i don’t let his/her attitude ruin my choices.
good boundaries also mean that my feelings matter just as much as his/hers, and i might need to call him/her on it.

if we aren’t careful to be intentional, the joy of living can quickly be replaced with hard feelings, anger, and disappointment. more than anything, sometimes extending grace to ourselves and others is the simplest way to allow us to experience the best life possible. after all, life isn't about pleasing everybody.

Blessings

0 comments: