Friday, February 10, 2012 | By: Anita

The Pour House

Writers live in fear of sitting down one day and having nothing to write. There have been seasons in which I’ve sat down to write a post and struggled with a howling vacancy.

Since starting this blog I have written a myriad of posts. Some are well-written, other are just random babblings as I figure things out. This year I’m determined to be more honest, oohh not to you really, but to me. I want to be honest about the who, what, where, when, why & how of my very existence. So it makes me especially fearful of having nothing much to write about.

If there’s nothing doing, then I have to face two startling truths:
1. I have not been resting with God, waiting on God, or doing anything else much with God lately.
2. I need to post something honest and true rather than posting something just to have “fresh content.”

Among other benefits, blogging has forced me to face my seasons of spiritual emptiness and struggle. When I need to “pour out” posts on a regular basis, I have a continual reminder to stay on track with God. If not, I risk being a fraud.

I think this is why serving others is so important in Christianity. Serving others, whether by writing, hospitality, prayer, or whatever else. Service forces us to depend on God’s resources. If we don’t depend on God filling us up, we’ll become exhausted as we scrape the dregs from our own lives.

Sometimes I try to pour something from God into the life of someone else and come up empty. That is what I fear in life. I fear being empty of God’s influence, having only my own wisdom and experience to share.

As you enter a weekend that will hopefully have a fair share of rest and restoration, may your cup spill over with God’s presence. And as you begin next week, I pray that you’ll be able to share God’s blessings with at least one other person.

That, after all, is why we’re here.

Blessings

0 comments: