Wednesday, February 22, 2012 | By: Anita

Ash Wednesday

In the days leading up to today (Ash Wednesday), I considered what I might give up to better open my heart to God. I rolled around a few ideas knowing that the idea of the whole thing was to turn toward God.

As I thought about what I might give up, I noticed that a lot of people around me were planning to give up similar pleasures: desserts, caffeine, alcohol. And as so often happens when I am people-watching, I saw something about myself.

In doing this, I would get to check a Christian duty off my list and hopefully lose a few pounds. A bargain, but certainly not a sacrifice. And then, it struck me that a bargain is not enough. It can make me feel better; it cannot make me better. To become better requires a sacrifice.

To become better – to become more focused on and in love with God – I can’t just take a pass on something I like a lot. I have to relinquish that which charms me most. Whatever makes me gasp, Surely not this! – this is the earthly thing most fiercely competing for heaven’s place. It’s what steals my attention so that I miss God’s whispers, enflames my heart so that I don’t seek His.

But I’d like to suggest something a little different this year. Instead of giving up coffee, Reese Peanut Butter Cups, fast food or other things of that nature, we should focus on giving up negativity and replace it with JOY!

Replacing the negative, discouraging and depressing thoughts and actions with positive will certainly help anyone who decides to do so. When you are on purpose looking for the millions of little blessings that are swirling about you at any given time, you will be a much happier, positive person. Everyone will see a noticeable difference and want to know the source of your JOY!

Not wanting anyone to fail, I suggest that you replace, replace, replace. If you are trying to get rid of one thing, it is always easier to do so when you replace it with something better. Tell me, what is better than true joy from deep within? We can't always change the circumstances that brings the black cloud of despair over us and try to keep us down, but we can make a choice about staying "in" the negativity or moving past it.

What are you giving up? Will you join me in giving up negativity and replace it with JOY, happiness, contentment and pure delight? And, if you fall short one day, give yourself grace and simply keep going.

I pray your cup overflows with unspeakable joy for these next 40 days and beyond!

Blessings

2 comments:

tomandlynette said...

I'm trying to focus on gratitude and joy. The kids and I have started a journal to write down things that we notice, to give our thanks and our attention to God. We just happened to start today. Neat that it coincides with the beginning of Lent. I am planning for this to continue beyond Easter!

Anonymous said...

Joy is something you can only rob yourself of...you are the one to decide what can make you happy or unhappy. But it is a good reminder to focus on the good and not dwell on the what is NOt good..

Very deep posts of late...Good to see how God is using you to share with others

Bliss