Thursday, December 11, 2014 | By: Anita

Happy Holidays?!?

It’s only two weeks until Christmas! and I confess the panic is beginning to set in.

Yes, the Christmas music is playing in the background. Sure the tree is up. And the halls? Well the halls are decked as best as one can with old decorations. The Christmas baking has been started, I’ve even watched my share of the Christmas classics and yet…

“It seems like I’ve lost my holiday spirit.”

Christmas can bring so many thoughts of expectations ~ decorations, family and friends, presents, food, energy… Why is it that we put ourselves under such a great deal of pressure through unrealistic expectations, comparisons with others and a need to prove ourselves?  

I know it’s supposed to be the most wonderful time of the year. And while I’m not quite up to Grinch status yet, I’m definitely not feeling holly or jolly about the upcoming festivities.

Confession: sometimes I have a bad attitude at the holidays {please tell me I’m not the only one}.

I want peace on earth but then I wind up feeling tempted to run over people with my shopping cart when they’re rude.

I want to spread cheer but then I get PMS and just want to spread chocolate on every surface I can find.

I want to shine brightly like the lights on a Christmas tree but then I get too busy and just want to say “lights out” so I can get some sleep.

I used to feel guilty about this quite a bit. What kind of person was I if I got all grumpy at the most wonderful time of year?

Each year the commercial side of Christmas seems to push the birth of Christ aside and yet, none of these things are what the Christmas season is really about. The truth is that Christmas isn’t about the holiday hoopla anyway.  The music and the gifts and the decorations are nice, sure. But the reason for the season? It’s Jesus. Just Jesus. And Just Jesus? IS ENOUGH.

Surely our focus should be on the birth of this baby who would change the world, the greatest gift God could give us ~ something to really be grateful for.  We need to reset our focus right where it is meant to be: on Jesus. The Messiah. The One who started it all, the One who gave it all.

Blessings

2 comments:

Debra said...

Must be the year. I've been on a refocus mission. A lot less decking of halls and a lot more of what really matters.

Anneliese said...

That is exactly what I read this morning. Jesus is enough.
(All the rest is bonus fluff . . . or our own expectations weighing us down.)