Monday, April 22, 2013 | By: Anita

Joy in the everyday

“You're never happy.” Those are the words said to me by my husband. And I will be honest, the words hurt. However, those words probably hurt because I knew there was truth to them. While the word “never” is a bit extreme, when I'm honest with how I've responded in recent situations, I can appreciate why my husband would make such a statement.

But those words have pierced my heart. Maybe God needed me to hear those words. Not in an attempt to be hurtful {that is not God}, but to draw me closer to Him..

As another week begins, I need to be reminded that the other people in the grocery store who seem to have their act together that they, too, have their own insecurities. When my washing machine goes on the fritz, or the painted floor has gotten scratched, again, remember that new and shiny doesn’t equal happy.

It’s tempting to wish my house was little bit newer, or a little bigger, or maybe in town, but I need to remember that our home, no matter that it’s a century farmhouse in the country, is a gift. All things in our lives are gifts.

And yet, sometime life doesn’t go the way we want ~ the corn-stove has broken down again, my health issues can make our lives difficult, the bathroom is sitting in mid-reno’s for almost a year ~ that it’s okay to cry. And be frustrated. And not understand.

But let’s remember, too, that there is always, ALWAYS something to be grateful for.
So, let's take a piece of paper and a pen, and scribble down one thing for which you’re grateful. And then two. And then maybe three. Display it somewhere obvious today. And be reminded.

In Romans 15:13 {NLT {New Living Transaltion}} Paul says “I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.”

Find your joy in the everyday!

Blessings

3 comments:

Becky said...

Wow are we related or what....
That is so me. I know I need to be thankful. But sometimes I just want to rant.


Be patient. I have started thinking how much better heaven is going to be.
Bliss

Anneliese said...

I can see where that comment would have hurt. Maybe we have all heard it at some point and we know it's not a literal meaning.. but it can help us if we let it, right?
May we ever grow in at attitude of thanksgiving and in so doing, be filled with joy.

krystle ann-marie said...

Choose joy! Joy is better then happiness anyways. :)