Tuesday, November 1, 2016 | By: Anita

November is...

Diabetes awareness month… and I'd like to take a moment to recognize our youngest son 
who for the past 13 years deals everyday with Type 1 {juvenile} diabetes. Which for those of you who might not understand this ~ it means he give himself a needle 3-4X  a day.  

Everyday. 

Because without insulin, {a hormone that helps your body to control the level of glucose (sugar) in your blood}, the sugars in food cannot get into the cells to do its work. It simply stays in the blood, causing high blood sugar levels.  Which he needs to test for multiple times in a day. 

Everyday. 

Thankfully there has been many advances made in diabetes care over the past decade with hopefully more to come.

Even though it’s been over 13 years ago since he was first diagnosed, I am no less scared or concerned.  I've written a little about our journey,  but he doesn’t like for attention to be drawn toward him.  Or for me to make a big deal about this.  

I just needed a little reminder to put on my grey ribbon in honour of our son and others who live with this diagnosis.

I am thankful however, that even though diabetes is a part of his life, it will never BE his life.

Take Care

0 comments: