Friday, April 3, 2015 | By: Anita

?Good? Friday

This was written last year and it bears repeating…

Growing up, this weekend of Good Friday and Easter Monday always meant a super long holiday weekend with extra sleep and lots of chocolate. 
Shortly after I came to know Jesus as my Lord and Saviour I struggled with the term“good” in the Good Friday part of the Easter story. How could it be a “good” day when Jesus was crucified? But as my faith grew so did my understanding of how“good” that day really is… it’s the day in which He saved me!

So, if someone saved your life, pushed you out of on coming traffic, grabbed you as you were falling off a cliff, jumped in front of a stray bullet headed for your chest... you'd be grateful right? I mean, if they died but miraculously the surgeons were able to revive them, would you not do everything you could to get to know that person, who they were, why they did what they did for you at the cost of their own life? Wouldn't you want to almost kinda like follow them around and make them your new best friend?

OK that almost sounds creepily stalker like but just being honest here.  I’d kinda like to be close with someone who saved my life... I’d be grateful for them and the second chance they gave me until the day I {for real} died.

So then the question is, am I that grateful to God, to Christ for taking my eternal death from me? Am I grateful the He took the beatings, the nails, the suffocation, AND the wrath and judgement of God from me? How hard am I seeking to know who He is and to follow him around and make him my new best friend?

I often feel so guilty about my lack of “awe” in my relationship with Christ. It's like I've taken for granted the new life he's given me, a new life, incomparable to my old life, I've just kinda said thanks and “let's grab a coffee sometime, it's on me” … 

We should be excited just like the ANGELS are, as it says Luke 15:10 {New American Standard Bible {NASB}} “In the same way, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.” They are so pumped and love to see sinners turn to Christ and be saved. Sometimes I wish I could catch a glimpse of their celebration for every new life saved, just so I might catch some of that excitement and joy and awe again. 

As we celebrate this Easter season, may we be reminded of the GREAT love Jesus had for us when he willingly laid down His life. 

“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.” John 3:16 {New American Standard Bible {NASB}}

And that Charlie Brown is what Easter is all about! 
 
Take Care

0 comments: