Wednesday, July 16, 2014 | By: Anita

Not to-do

For my days at home I tend to create a list of things to do. I cross them off as I get them done, but when I over plan and try to accomplish an unrealistic amount of chores, I feel like I don't quite measure up to the world's standards. After all, I should be able to get everything done.

Have you ever wondered how you’re going to get through the day?

Have you ever sunk to your knees and wished for the day to just be over?

What does one do at those times when it seems like we have hit a brick wall, the end has come, or the bottom has simply fallen out?

Those tough days? It seems that I have had more than I can count. When I am in an active season of my illness, it’s all I can do maintain the status quo. During those days, I’ll be honest, if someone told me to count my blessings I’d probably have wanted to punch them in the face! Sure I know I’m blessed but sometimes I get so consumed by my problems I can’t see beyond them.

AND YET

As I sit here typing, windows open, the sound of birds chirping, I am thinking what a great week it has truly been. Now parts of my week may not have been “fun” and yet, God loves to provide for us. His blessings are often what we need to get through the tough days.

So what does one do?

I have learned over time that there are just some things that I do not have to do. And sometimes it helps me when I list those things, like;
* Pick up my phone.
* Check on the world through facebook.
* Clean the toilets.
* Wash the pile of clothes sitting in the wash hamper.
* Re-do my toe-nail polish.
* Read the new book that came from the library.
* Watch a movie.
* Get groceries.
* Brush my hair.
* Organize another closet.
* Consume sugar.
* Be on anyone else’s time frame.
* Stay awake.
* Shove one more thing into this already full day.
After writing a list like this, I always feel like I’ve gained some sense of control back. Like I do own my life and my choices, and I’m not being swept away. 
 
Knowing that I can trust the God who is able … to make deserts bloom, create rivers in the middle of a wasteland, make a way when there is no way. As a matter of fact, there is no limit to His possibilities.

“And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times,
having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.”
2 Corinthians 9:8 {New International Version {NIV}}
 
What would go on your “not to do” list right now?

Blessings

2 comments:

Debra said...

On my to do list today...trying to keep my mouth shut. Its having trouble overflowing onto the people around me and I'm afraid its not done yet.lol

Becky said...

I like that making a list if the things I do NOT have to do....so I don't feel so guilty when I spend a whole day reading ...
Thanks for that reminder

Blessings
Bliss