Tuesday, March 4, 2014 | By: Anita

Epic Fail

So I didn’t quite accomplish my goal of going Facebook free for February.

Cue the sad music… ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♪♫♫

Since Facebook is the only way I can connect with our son who lives Orillia, I wasn’t able to be completely off of Facebook.  But, I did however become more aware about how many times I actually checked status updates and notices. I was more intentional about how I did spend my time. I purposefully spent more time reading my bible, journaling and placing my focus on other things.

It’s a struggle to admit that I failed, especially since I made my announcement public. When we fail at meeting our goals, it’s really easy to slip into believing that we’re failures at everything and give it all up. But it doesn’t have to be that way!

Since I know where I’ve failed, I can begin again and make a new goal, one that is perhaps more attainable and that it is ok to adjust my goal, even in the middle of it. I needed to realize that rather than going Facebook free, I should just try to reduce how many times I check in. I’ve come to realize that I felt bogged done by my Facebook interactions and that I do have a mild addiction and need to keep it in check.

While I find it extremely important to make goals, I also find it extremely important to be able to handle it when it doesn’t go the way I want. Goals are goals, not laws. We all have bad days, and we need to give ourselves grace.

So rather than focus on not meeting my goal 100%, I’d prefer to celebrate what I DID accomplish.

And going forward. I plan to make my Facebook interactions more purposeful… While I don’t plan on deleting my page all together, I do plan to continue with being more aware of how many times I check it. I want to be more purposeful in who I accept as friends, who I follow and who will ultimately end up being deleted. Cause really, can one person have 506 friends… really?!?

Scaling down my Facebook interactions is one more way for me to live an intentional life

What do you when you fail at your goals?

Blessings

2 comments:

Anneliese said...

Your motive in your goal was good and I think you accomplished that part. To scale down, right? It's so funny how addicting it can be to check on messages.

Debra said...

I don't consider it a failure when one is connecting with one's child. Facebook has become the way to keep up with my family, which I love. Instead of me checking in all the time, I too have decided that once or twice a day is probably enough. :)