Tuesday, February 25, 2014 | By: Anita

Library Club ~ book #2

The Library Club met last night to discuss the book “Practical Jean” ~ Trevor Cole.
From the cover
“Here in Kotemee, all anyone can say now is, thank God I was never a good friend of Jean Vale Horemarchs.
Jean Horemarch is a loving daughter and a devoted friend. But after spending three very trying month caring for her dying mother, Jean is struck by a forceful sense of doom. She has seen the future in her mother’s final, painful days, and it looks very dark indeed.
Jean decides she can’t sit idle in the face of her new certainty. As she returns to her normal life with Milt, her substitute teacher husband, Jean focuses on the most important people in her life - her close female friends. She resolves to do for them what she couldn’t do for her mother. One by one she will protect them from the torment of growing old.
So, with resourcefulness and a firm, belief in the rightness of her cause, Jean begins a new project. And sleepy Kotemee will never be the same…”

Basically, if you find the description to be amusing, you’d think you would want to read more… and from the websites I checked out, {Goodreads, or the national post} it was given great reviews.

Personally I found it to be a disturbing {and I like a good murder-mystery} and fairly dark story.

I really, really, really wanted to love this book. But it certainly did not appeal to me. Practical Jean just isn’t very good. I’m not sure I could recommend it ~ especially to my best friends.

Blessings

0 comments: