Friday, February 22, 2013 | By: Anita

say sorry

in the classic movie ~ love story, one of the best worst lines ever uttered is:
~ love means never having to say you’re sorry ~

excuse me, uh, what?

in what world is that ok?

if you love me and you hurt me, you need to be sorry, you need to mean it. why do i say “i’m sorry” when i have done nothing wrong? it’s especially wounding when i say it after you have hurt me.  when you should be the one apologizing.

do I feel guilt?

do I feel shame?

do I feel pity?

something in me wants to make you feel better. but what about how i feel? i don’t have to be sorry when i have done nothing wrong. i don’t have to be sorry when you hurt me. i don’t have to accept the feelings of guilt, the feelings of shame, the feelings of pity. those feelings are toxic. i will not allow you to try to make me to feel sorry when i have done nothing wrong.

i’m not sorry and that’s ok.
i have value.

care for me. respect me and my feelings. think before you speak. and definitely, most assuredly, most respectfully, most humbly, most lovingly, say when you are sorry.

in the classic real world:
~ love means always having to say you are sorry and actually mean it ~

that’s what true love is.

blessings

0 comments: