Saturday, October 20, 2012 | By: Anita

You know the type

Have you ever had people come into your life and, even if it's not intentional, make it more difficult?

Maybe they're critical or judgmental; they're excessively needy and demand more than you can give relationally, emotionally or physically; sometimes they take the opposite position of anything you say or do; or they're just plain mean, undermining or cruel with their words.

Sandpaper people
I've called them.. ... ..  .. you know the type, abrasive, irritating or generally rough to be around.

Are you like me and see them as thorns, prickly and inconvenient? Have you shared Paul's lament and prayed for God to remove them from your side? When someone closer to me is particularly trying ~ friends. . .. family. .. .. or even my own children, I've begged God to change them.

Years ago as a younger woman, I was struggling through an emotionally draining, almost soul-defeating season with a ‘friend’; I prayed, earnest and unceasing, and searched the depths of scripture for some sort of of wisdom; and I sought the advice and counsel of many.

But alas, I had to terminate that friendship, as I found it to be to corrosive for my life. Thankfully I’ve learned that there are friends who come and friends, thankfully, who go. It’s also good to remind ourselves that there are reason, season or lifetime friends and only we can determine each relationship.

To everything and every time there is a season.

Blessings

1 comments:

Anneliese said...

I'm smiling because so much fits into seasons... even sandpaper people. May God give us grace to learn something even from these kind of "friends".