Sunday, August 26, 2012 | By: Anita

On being a farmer's wife

As a child we would visit my Schwartzentruber grandparents on their farm and I remember going into their dairy barn with my nose plugged closed so I would not have to smell that fresh "county" air. How ironic is it that I married a dairy farmer?!?

After losing our dairy barn in 1998 and deciding not to re-build, we chose to remain on the farm and become a cash cropper. For those who are unfamiliar with 'farm-talk' that means we grow a variety of crops (corn, soy beans, wheat etc.) for cash.

Farmer in the Dell
The farmer in the dell, the farmer in the dell
Hi-ho the dairy-o, the farmer in the dell.

 
The farmer takes a wife, the farmer takes a wife
Hi-ho the dairy-o, the farmer takes a wife.


One of the things I've learned during both planting and harvesting is that it's very important to stay out of the farmer's way during this time and just let him do his thing. It used to be a stressful time for me when the kids were younger, because Daddy was very busy and parenting our kids would become mostly my responsibility. Now though it's much easier to cope with the long work days and the stress he faces relying on the weather for getting the crops off.

In Ecclesiastes 3:1 it reminds me There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: knowing this helps me to put the busyness into perspective and to know that this is not forever. I wonder..... shouldn't there be a support group for us.

Hello my name is Anita and I am a farmer's wife.

Blessings

1 comments:

krystle ann-marie said...

The farmer's wife does the hardest job sometimes... thinking of you and praying for you during this time. I love you!