Monday, August 6, 2012 | By: Anita

Joe Cool

How did it happen that over the span of a few short years “Cool” was so quickly replaced by “Weird?”

It immediately takes me back to my own teen years when people’s perceptions far outweighed the fun of spontaneity.

When the pull of conformity over ruled individuality.

When influence rooted group think and apathy, rather than bold steps towards innovative leadership.

Now as a grown woman, I look around at my peers, and realize that their response isn’t that much different I’m considered “weird” by many.

Decades ago, the most notably quoted bible verse was John 3:16, now it’s Matt. 7:1 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged,” which quoted on it’s own, is completely out of context.

As “the church,” many are caught between this delicate balance of attempting to be cool and relevant, while not being too weird or offensive.

If I had to choose, I would rather be weird any day.

I want to live large for Him, but I wrestle with how that plays out on a daily basis.

Christ’s perfect model never guarantees comfort. In fact, He requires sacrifice, and with that often comes challenges, change, and the need for a big douse of courage. Yet, His bridge building techniques spanned chasms of hostility, indifference, and apathy.

I want that! You should want that.

We must look different.

So how do we dream those big dreams of creating irresistible influence, yet make them reality?

I am starting right where I am in my own core circle of influence.  
My desire is to be known as a friend who guards confidences, and when gossip begins, I end it immediately, and point people to the biblical model. Gossip has such a strong hold among women. Sometimes we don’t even realize we are in the middle of it, and we don’t see the damage occurring. I want people to know that their reputations are safe with me.
My desire is to be a help mate to my husband, and build up the sanctity of marriage, when so many try to derail it. Bottom line, marriage is hard work and half of all marriages are ending in divorce.
My desire is to be a mother who continually points her children to the infallible word of God as the only truth, the only answer to all cultural, political and societal answers. I want to be a mother who loves and encourages unconditionally, yet delicately balances grace and truth when they fail. With their world and life view being challenged at every intersection, this solid foundation is something that takes time, but that can’t be overlooked.
My desire is to encourage women to embrace their role as a wife and mother by sharing creative and relevant ways to live a beautiful life on a budget. (Yes, and many of those might be classified as “weird”. :) )
My desire is to expose the lies that we have any hint of perfection going on in this life. I am one huge mess, and that’s why I need my Saviour so desperately.  

In fact, if you think back to your own high school years. Who are the people you remember most fondly? I bet it wasn’t even the “cool” kids.

As I remind myself, “Know who you have been created to be.”

Always remember, as His precious daughters, you are fully and uniquely accepted, attractive, significant, and most of all loved!!


Bottom line, I’m weird, are you?

Blessings

1 comments:

Anneliese said...

I love what you have to say here, Anita.
It reminds me of a verse that talks about being a peculiar people. I want to be peculiar in a sense that, like you also mention, people want to know more and not be turned off.