Saturday, August 18, 2012 | By: Anita

Being the only one

I walk through my house, thoughts swirling through my mind like the dust bunnies doing dances in front of my vacuum.

I think of other women who have cleaner houses. Which leads to thoughts of other women who cook better meals. And that goes on to other women who have cuter outfits, and are better at twitter, and can make small talk with ease.

I wish I could be like… is the refrain that goes round and round in my mind.

Finally I hit the power button on the vacuum, feeling drained myself.

I whisper a question, “God, why do I feel I need to be like so many other people?”

It seems there is an answer that comes so quiet…

Because the enemy would rather have you be like anyone but Jesus. As we used to say, um, duh. If I’m busy trying to be like Mary, Martha and Margaret then I’m left with no time to be me. Or, more specifically, to let Jesus be who He is through me.

Each of us are made in the image of God. That means we’re created to show Him to the world in a way no one else ever has and no one else ever will.

I do that by being who He made me.  And you do that by being you.

So listen, let’s decide together that we will stop trying to be like each other And instead be conformed to the one whose likeness we’re made in.

I empty the vacuum bag, dust and clutter giving way to clean again. I smile because my heart suddenly feels like that too.

Comparison replaced by clarity – about who I am, what I’m called to do, and the God who choose me for His purposes.

And you.

And you.

And you.

All of us. Just as we are – and unlike anyone else.

Blessings

2 comments:

tomandlynette said...

Good words, Anita. Thanks for the true reminder.

Anneliese said...

Such a great way to look at who we are supposed to be!