Thursday, April 21, 2011 | By: Anita

Sticks & Stones

Remember the childhood rhyme "sticks and stones may break your bones, but words will never hurt me"? Well, here's an interesting little story.

The other day my son Darcy and I were at a shopping mall in London. As we're walking together side by side, someone coughed the word 'cougar' to us as we passed by. {side note: for those who are unfamiliar with that term it means "a woman in her 30s or 40s who actively pursues casual sexual relationships with young men"}. I was dumbfounded. Not that I was called that but that they were making such an assumption of us, not even knowing us or knowing our story. And even if I was a cougar; who are they to judge us? Which led me to this thought. How quick can we be to judge others?

In Matthew 7: 1 & 2, it says "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

This is something I know I need to learn. As I am at the grocery store, in line waiting for a tea at Starbucks, or even at the mall, I know that I am quick to judge others for the way they dress, or how there hair is, or even with who they are with. It's not until we are willing to get to know those around us that we can care for them and then. .. .. not be so quick to judge. The American Indian Proverb "Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his moccasins"; can be helpful to us as we remember that it's only until you know their story that you can truly understand the journey they are on.

Blessings

1 comments:

Tom said...

Great post Anita. Judging others is so easy to do, and so wrong!