Wednesday, September 24, 2014 | By: Anita

Perhaps

Last week was a challenging week for me.  I was hurting all over.  Life with a chronic illness is always hard, but there are some days when it is particularly difficult to face life with courage and joy. I'm physically tired and it wears me down, and sometimess, I grow so weary from the fight. It’s been a real struggle.

If you have an invisible illness you have likely heard people say, “well, you look fine” or “you just need to keep pushing yourself”, or “we all have health issues” and quite possibly the worst one is “you’re just lucky that you can afford to not work”.  I'm sorry ~ what? Despite the cliché sayings about “sticks and stones” ~ words can hurt.

Sharp, cutting words can wound us deeply. And sadly, the deepest wounds often come from those we love and care about. When we are already sinking low from illness, and a sharp tongue stabs us through the heart, we can be brought even lower. Why do simple, even well-intentioned words hurt so much?

As my chronic illness stays, well... chronic... people start to question the validity of it. I want to be able to share the ups and downs but not sound like I am complaining, but sometimes it’s all just too much, you know?

I guess there will always be people who will be sceptical about how much my life is impacted by my condition. We are each on a life journey and that journey may take us in many directions; our paths will cross with many people ~ some we will value and others we may wish we haven’t met at all. 


Life can be tough and sometimes we feel like we are facing it alone. May we remember that that is when Christ carries us.
One thing I am sure of, however, is that God does want us to have friends on this journey. Perhaps we should remind ourselves to be more helpful, walking alongside each other as we travel this journey together. 

Blessings

1 comments:

D.R. Graff said...

Anita,
I have chemical depression and while I can't say I know exactly what you are going through I can relate to what you have said. It's the diseases that plague you on the inside that are the most difficult to deal with. My relationship with God greatly helps me with my daily struggles as well.

What is a blessing that you have seen from Him recently?