Thursday, March 15, 2012 | By: Anita

When you think you have nothing to write

Have you ever sat down in front of the keyboard, and couldn’t seem to string a coherent sentence together to save your life? Or worse, you kept starting only to get a paragraph into things, and hate what you’d written so you simply highlighted the entire batch of words and hit the delete key? The good news is that the Internet is filled with inspiration, ideas, and even other bloggers who are usually more than willing to bounce ideas for topics back and forth.

Here are a few tricks I've learned to help me get past the next bout of writer’s block.
1. I go back over my own posts. Since I've been blogging for a while, I've noticed that there could be more to write about on some topics.
2. I'll take a look through my bookshelf at some of the books that I've enjoyed over time. Quite often the chapter headings have given me some ideas into topics I could write about. I won't re-read the chapter, 'cause that might influence what I think about it.
3. I also visit some of my favourite blogs and see what they've written about. We each have our own voice, and knowledge on a subject. It's kinda cool how our personality traits tend to come out when we write.
4. Or I'll go through different photos on the computer. I've collected several and I enjoy coming up with creative ways that will help either explain the photo or come up with a story that works well with what I want to say.
5. Sometimes the blogposts just aren't quite right so I've stockpiled them in an “unfinished” document. These days my thoughts are all over the place and I've several post ideas floating around. This is a good place to write them down {as scattered as they are} and work on several posts rather than trying to keep everything filed in my head. That way I can always go back at a later date - add more to it {if needed}, refine it to get it ready to be published, or simply delete it.
Blogging is an outlet for my thoughts, ideas and creativity. Despite what some might think, blogging is not a solo enterprise. So I keep trying to get creative and be purposeful to give my followers something worth their while.

Blessings

0 comments: