Friday, May 13, 2011 | By: Anita

Hired Man

or to be politically correct it should read hired woman.

Wayne & I own a 150 acres, of which 135 are considered to be 'workable'. After the dairy barn burned down in 1998 we became cash croppers. Which means that we grow our crops for money instead of for feed for the cows we used to have. Quite often it's on a crop rotation of soy beans and wheat, however this year he's planting corn.

As our boys grew older they helped their dad in the field, whether it was picking rocks or driving tractor. As time passed and the boys got off-farm jobs, the driving of the tractor eventually fell to me. I don't mind really, it's sort of like mowing the lawn only a bit better since the tractor has a radio to help pass the seemingly endless hours in the field. In fact tonight as I was cultivating, I had a little puppy along for the ride.

Blessings

1 comments:

krystle ann-marie said...

lol, that would have been a sight! Did she like driving with you?