Monday, April 26, 2010 | By: Anita

Greatest Gift

Last night I drove past my old high school - Waterloo Oxford District Secondary School. It brought so many memories to mind of my time there. Some good, some not so good. I had a tough time at school, falling in with the wrong crowd and not graduating until many years later. (but that's for a different post) Garth Brooks sings the song "Unanswered Prayers"
Just the other night at a hometown football game
My wife and I ran into my old high school flame
And as I introduced them the past came back to me
And I couldn't help but think of the way things used to be

She was the one that I'd wanted for all times
And each night I'd spend praying that God would make her mine
And if he'd only grant me this wish I wished back then
I'd never ask for anything again

Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers
Remember when you're talking to the man upstairs
That just because he doesn't answer doesn't mean he don't care
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers

She wasn't quite the angel that I remembered in my dreams
And I could tell that time had changed me
In her eyes too it seemed
We tried to talk about the old days
There wasn't much we could recall
I guess the Lord knows what he's doing after all

And as she walked away and I looked at my wife
And then and there I thanked the good Lord
For the gifts in my life

Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers
Remember when you're talking to the man upstairs
That just because he may not answer doesn't mean he don't care
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers

Some of God's greatest gifts are all too often unanswered...
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers

You see, I too prayed for many different things throughout my high school years. During that time it seemed as though my prayers were unanswered. After all I had plans, I knew what I wanted or at least thought I did. I doubt during that time in my life I would have been able to agree with Garth's line: some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.

However, looking back I realized that it was a good thing those prayers weren't answered in the way I thought they should be or I wouldn't be where I am today. I likely wouldn't be married to Wayne and then I couldn't have been blessed with Krystle, Kyle & Darcy ~ I wouldn't want to imagine my life with out them. Life would have turned out totally different. It's not about the plans that I have for my life, but HIS plans ~ as it says in Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV) "I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to proper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

I believe that God answers all prayers. Sometimes though... the answer is no. And yes, it can be one of HIS greatest gifts!

Blessings

3 comments:

Candice said...

Et tu?

Becky said...

David Meece had a similar song about thanking God for the times he NO thank you for the doors that you closed all the things we never see he has only the best for me...
it is not always easy to thank God in those times when you think it should be as you pray, BUT how wonderful we have a GOD who knows what is BEST at ALL times for us..
that He knows the right plans for us and directs our path down that RIGHT way


Blessings
Bliss

Anonymous said...

This is such incredible insight. I'm glad God revealed this to you.

I love you and am proud that you are MY mom.