Thursday, January 19, 2017 | By: Anita

Mary vs. Martha

In my daily life right now, I’m good with the Martha part, but the Mary part?  Well, it could use some work…..

My house is good, it’s tidy, relatively clean and fairly organized. But my spiritual life quite often sits on the back burner. Simmering, not really ever coming to a full boil.

Oh sure, I read a daily devotion, but more often than not, it’s one more task to complete.  It’s a daily struggle to find closeness with God, to take time to pray, and to read his word. 

The schedule of my life, I’m sure is quite similar to many other women. I go through each week doing laundry, making meals, attending church, running errands, keeping watch over my Squinch and date nights with the hubs, fill up most of my time.

It’s easy for my Martha part, every morning as soon as I get up I make the bed, tidy our ensuite bathroom. Do a quick overview of what I hope to accomplish in the day and then simply get started. 

Confession:  I need a little more Mary, and not so much Martha in my life… but the question is, how?

Do I simply open my Bible and start reading? Or every time I’m alone in the car, I listen to Christian music. Or in the afternoon I read a Christian book? Or pray every night before I go to bed?  

These are all good ideas, but… when I get to those times of the day, I tend to find something else to do. 

So, today, I’m making a promise to myself.  I will inject some Mary into my daily routine. It may take a week or so to see a real difference, but I’m going to chip away at this lifelong struggle each day. 

With a little more Mary today, I’m hoping my Martha will be more peaceful.

Take Care

1 comments:

Anneliese said...

hey, I hear you. I'm there too. So much easier to do the things we can check off the list. And yet...more than anything, we need God.