Monday, June 13, 2016 | By: Anita

Perfectly not Perfect

If you had Mary Poppins’ measuring tape, what would it say about you? 
And as much as I’d like to think I was practically perfect in every way, I suspect mine would probably just read “not good enough”.

“If it’s not done perfectly, it’s not worth doing at all” ~ is an attitude I’ve lived under for too many years.  Why or how that came to be, I’m not quite sure. 

It could have been in the third grade when I was the last one picked for the school recess baseball team or when I met my first mean girl at 13. Or it might have been when I opened my mouth to sing and discovered I was tone deaf. 

Not being enough has sort of been a faithful companion in life….always there, reminding me of ways I didn’t fit in or belong. I believed the ever-present words whispered in my ear. 

In some ways I am an uber-perfectionist.   And yet, I struggle with being so disorganized. No matter how hard I tried to be perfect; I just couldn’t be. Sadly, that begins the questioning of my worth and value. If I wasn’t perfect, what good was I??

Despite my imperfections, God still loves me. We were not created to be perfect. God loves me for who He created me to be. I am worthy because I am His. Not because I was perfect. 

Perfection is a myth. 

Because let’s be honest, we all make mistakes. Big ones. Little ones. Funny ones. Those oh no ones. Mistakes come in all shapes and sizes. Sometimes the mistakes that we make are actually disguised as opportunities. Opportunities for Him to be glorified. 

His Word is clear: “being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” Philippians 1:6 {New International Version {(NIV}}

Take Care

1 comments:

Anneliese said...

It is encouraging to think that the apostle Paul did not see himself as perfect either and had to come to accept this thorn to remind Him that God's grace is sufficient.