Friday, November 7, 2014 | By: Anita

Changeling

Everything is changing. Okay, maybe not everything. And certainly not everything all at once.

The leaves have almost spent all their colour and are falling to the ground for another Canadian winter. The temperatures are changing.  The Soya beans have been harvested and Winter Wheat is planted. We’re definitely moving deep into autumn.

I like the changes that come with fall, and winter. Trading out capris, t-shirts and sandals,  for blue jeans, sweaters and boots is fun. The way the days cool and shadows shift. And of course there is the time change.

Last weekend, we changed our clocks back one hour to end Daylight Saving Time.   That wonderful time of year when we gain an hour of light in the morning only to lose the light at night.  It was not too long ago, that the annual “fall back” of daylight saving time was a little gift that plopped into my life once every year.

My internal clock though is having a difficult time adjusting back to standard time; and you know, I've been feeling quite grumpy.   During times like these, I’m learning the importance of taking care of myself. Getting more rest.  Slowing down and expressing my needs more clearly.  Sometimes change can be good.

Change isn't usually something I look forward to because it’s often uncomfortable. And yet, change is the only constant.

My prayer is to embrace the changes as God allows them into my life. To remind myself “what if today, we were grateful for everything” .
What about you? What’s your favourite thing about autumn? What lessons are you learning about change?

Blessings

2 comments:

Debra said...

I like the darkness that comes early. Means I get to spend my evening under a blanket with knitting needles clicking away.

Anneliese said...

Smiling at that cartoon. Isn't that what we are supposed to do? give thanks in everything. Not always easy. I have appreciated the extra hour in the mornings.