Tuesday, January 21, 2014 | By: Anita

Library Club

Recently I joined the local book club at the library. We met last night night to discuss the book, “Spanish Fly” ~ Will Ferguson
From the inside jacket:
Meet Jack McGreary, a young man growing up in the faded boom town of Paradise Flats, amid the dust storm and broken dreams of the Great Depression. Raised by his eccentric and increasingly erratic father, Jack has learned to live by his wits. He outplays the local businessmen out argues the local priest and even outsmarts a gang of hardened carnies as a seedy fairground. And a when a pair of fast-talking swindlers blow through town, Jack joins them.
Virgil Ray and Miss Rose are more than happy to lead a young boy astray, and together they go on a raucous crime spree across the American Southwest. They play three-card Monte and toss crooked dice, and they sell shares in everything from spider farms to cat ranches. They hustle pool. They swap tills with hapless store owners. They even peddle bogus aphrodisiacs under the banner “Spanish Fly: Drives Women Crazy!”
“Remember“, Virgil tells Jack, “when they hand you their money willingly, it doesn’t count as stealing.”
It’s a wild ride, one of jazz clubs and easy money. But when the three of them find themselves caught up in a murder ploy. Jack begins to suspect that he is being set up as a patsy. Are Virgil and miss Rose playing Jack? Or is Jack playing them?

It is no secret I’m a book nerd. I really like the quiet atmosphere of the library and could spend countless hours there. I’ve even thought about becoming a librarian! I think any true book lover has probably considered it at least once ….in fact the thought of going to school, rather back to school, to get my degree in library science has been running through my head for the last couple of years. I think being a librarian would be just about the most fun job ever.

Why I Would Make a Great Librarian:
I’m a voracious lifelong reader.
I am always reading something.
I love finding new authors to read.
I’ll sometimes read three to five books at once, {Current reads: Hunted ~ Karen Robards, Shadow Woman ~ Linda Howard, Deadline ~ Sandra Brown, The Good Daughters ~ Joyce Maynard} simply because one only has so much time to read all the books in the world, and because I gravitate towards different types of writing at different times of day, on different days of the week.
I love books ~ actual books. I love the feel of them and even the smell of them. Sure, I’m a blogger and I love technology. But even more than that? I love books.
I love reading lots of different types of books. Right now I’m on a mystery thriller kick, but I also read tons of romances, and political thrillers. I also read some historical fiction, and the occasional classic. And while I don’t love them as much as novels, I read non-fiction books, too. {Just a lot more slowly.}
I am a huge supporter of the library, because it’s dumb to buy a book that can be easily borrowed. I even check out movies, CDs and TV shows from the library.
Sometimes I’ll find myself straightening books on the shelves, and I never put books down or back out of order.

Have you ever thought you’d make a great {fill in the blank}? What would you be, if education or training were free?

Blessings

1 comments:

Anneliese said...

Wow, that is an interesting question and I'm at a loss of what I'd choose.
But since I'm not one to want to study too hard, even if it is free... hm... I think I'll stay right where I am... but I'd like to be a better at teaching and encouraging. I've often thought that if I had a choice of a gift, it would be to sing.