Wednesday, November 6, 2013 | By: Anita

People Pleaser

You know, I care way too much about what other people think of me. I’m afraid. Paralyzed even. By other people’s opinions or thoughts. Seriously.

Hello, my name is Anita and I want people to like me. So, I will sometimes say yes when I really want to say no. And when I do say no, I sometimes worry about how much I’m disappointing that person.

I would much rather write this blog in past tense. Like, “I used to struggle with this but I’m really past it all.”

Though I have gotten better, I still have quite a ways to go. The best thing it is for me is to be honest with people. My tendency is to paste that plastic smile on my face and keep nodding in agreement. Any which way you want to look at it, deep, deep down at the root of this, is my desire to be liked and I’m willing to do almost anything to achieve that.

But I have to realize, real love is honest. Real love cares enough about other people who disagree. Real love allows for difference rather than conformity.  And I need to come to terms with the fact that there are some people I won’t please no matter how much I give. And some people won’t stop liking me no matter how many times we differ in opinions.

If you’ve made a mistake, correct it.
If you’ve done something wrong, apologize.
If it’s just a personal preference, it’s okay to let someone be displeased with your choice.
 
“Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you;
he will never let the righteous be shaken”.
Psalm 55:22 {New International Version {NIV}}

Blessings

0 comments: