Saturday, September 7, 2013 | By: Anita

Mixed Review

Usually I am not one that likes to try new places, I like to stay in my comfort zone of familiar restaurants or pubs. But, each time we would drive by the Crossing’s Grill & Pub, I knew this was one place I was wanting to try. So, for our anniversary we decided to give it a go. I was super pumped!

As we arrived we were quite concerned that the parking lot was full, leading us to believe the place could be packed and without reservations, we thought we might not even get in. We found an open spot just past the “no parking beyond this point” sign, and since we could not find anywhere else, decided to nab it up. Praying we wouldn’t get towed.


The restaurant is located in a beautiful big old yellow brick house that sits majestically on a hill. The outdoor patio buzzed with excited energy and was comfortably full with seemingly satisfied patrons. You enter through the front doors and are greeted by the staff {all girls} dressed in what appeared to be a catholic school uniform, with skirts that were so short that if they bent over … well I’m sure you get the idea.

Once seated, we were quickly greeted by our server and we ordered a couple beverages, I was quite excited when they had Blackberry Somersby. She returned in a flash, and we ordered an appetizer as we were quite hungry. As we looked over the menu we noticed a decent selection of choices, however, it was mainly pub food. Fish ‘n chips, pizza, burgers, sandwiches, salads, there was a small “patron's choice” page with trout, ribs, chicken et al, however the prices were quite steep. We soon decided a grilled chicken & brie sandwich with a side caesar salad for me and a bacon burger & fries for the hubs.

Our appetizer “Pale Ale & Cheddar Dip served with crostini” was served and we were soon dipping our bread and sampling the dish. Thankfully our server came back quickly to “see” how things were, and I asked “is this supposed to be hot?” and with her affirmative response, we then expressed some disappointment that ours was not. As she quickly whisked it away to, I presumed to reheat it, I said to Wayne “you know really they should give us a new one. To my surprise she returned with a new order of our appetizer ~ hot and delicious!

While we waited for our entrees, we perused the dessert menu and I was holding out for the Oreo cookie vanilla cheesecake. However, once our dinner came I knew two things right away, 1) we not be getting dessert, and 2) I wasn’t sure I’d be able eat everything on my plate. The portions were huge and very nicely presented. Delicious!

While the food is obviously the main attraction of any restaurant, we were pleasantly surprised that even though it’s listed as a grill & pub, it wasn’t obnoxiously loud like most. The décor, while still sporting tv’s in the corners, they were neither loud, nor distracting.
As we finished our dinner, we declined the opportunity for dessert. Our server brought the bill and we were actually surprised that our appetizer had been removed from our bill.

While the dining experience was satisfactory, it wasn’t the WOW factor I had anticipated. Even though it’s listed as a grill & pub, I had an expectation of something a bit more refined. If you’re looking for an alternative to Jack Astor’s, Kelsey’s, Montana’s, Applebee’s, Crabby Joes and the like, then this is a great place. However, if you’re looking for a casual fine dining experience for those special celebrations in life, this is not it.

But you decide for yourself ~ the restaurant is located at 1269 Hyde Park Road London Ontario. Opened ~ Sunday to Thursday:11am-11pm and Friday & Saturday:11am-1am.

Blessings


0 comments: