Saturday, March 30, 2013 | By: Anita

What's that?

I’ve been on the receiving end of a sharp tongue. Sadly, I’ve also been on the giving end, too. Since I’m not a “confrontationist” by nature, this history of my sharpness happened behind closed doors, behind backs. It embarrasses me to say, but if I’m to live authentically, I must.

I’ve spouted off at times, speaking in the flesh instead of through the Spirit.
I’ve allowed pain, hurt and frustration to guide my speech rather than Him.
I’ve given in to my humanness, turning my back on who I am in Him.

Saying it, writing it makes it so real.

I’ve been guilty of assumptions, assuming without gathering all the facts.
I’ve been guilty of surmising, creating scenarios in which to respond.
I’ve been guilty of sarcasm ~ lots of sarcasm.

In the midst of it all, He’s been quietly speaking into my Spirit, calling my attention to what flows from my tongue.

He reminds me of Philippians 4:8:
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Then leads me to Matthew 15:18:
But the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart. . ...

Followed by Galatians 5:22,23:
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

What has He been teaching me?
What is He teaching me?

1) A heart full of Him speaks Him because a heart full of junk speaks just that ~ junk.
2) I must allow Him to filter my words, not just catch them afterwards, repairing any damage.
3) Letting go of foolish speak is evidence of my love for Him and my relationship with Him and His word.

As I live my life I need to remember that HE sees my shortcomings, my faults and loves me through each. HE patiently teaches and reminds me how hiding HIS word in my heart influences what comes out of MY mouth.
Blessings

0 comments: