Monday, May 7, 2012 | By: Anita

Time for me

There was a time when I was not very good at building margins and space into my life. In fact I used to struggle with such guilt when I would intentionally take time for me.

With my people-pleasing, perfectionistic, and prideful ways it tends to crowd out any real possibility of healthy margins and breathing room in my life.

When I lack the space to just be, even when my time is filled with everything I love, a crash-and-burn is inevitable.


Been there. Done that.

It takes intentionality to build space into my life. But when I do, my heart is better for it. A little bit of space goes a long way.

A healthy life rhythm has space built in.

If you ask people what they want, they’ll mention things like this:
More time
More efficiency
More speed
More simplicity
More convenience
More leisure

And likewise if you asked people how they feel, they’d mention words like these:
Busy
Stressed
Worried
Rushed
Distracted

Building space into our lives means paying more attention to what and who drains us, as well as what and who refuels us.

But it takes discipline.

Stopping reminds us that we aren’t defined by what we do.

We need to intentionally create space in our lives, forcing us to pause, slow down, pull back, and rest. When we do, life is more full. Not just busy, but abundant.

Blessings

2 comments:

tomandlynette said...

Hi Anita,

I was pondering a similar idea today, prompted by the question (Do you live slowly) in this post: http://simplemom.net/question-do-you-live-slowly/ I haven't read through the comments yet, but I'd like to see how others are incorporating this idea into their lives. The days of peace here are usually when we have slowed down and allowed life to happen at an enjoyable pace, with lots of space for each of us to pursue things on our own and together.

Love Lynette

Becky said...

I think this concept is one we should all learn...if people would only be willing to admitt how much better they feel when they do take time for themself...it really does help us put things into precpective and do the things that REALLY matter,,,

Enjoy your me time... I know I do
Bliss