Saturday, April 28, 2012 | By: Anita

Family Time

ah yes! Having the family home was the hilight for my weekend. In fact,  I was too busy having fun that I didn't get any pictures.

Since,  Krystle got married, Kyle moved to Orillia for college and Darcy lives at the Little Inn of Bayfield as the Nightkeeper, we've been empty nesters.....  Bizaare as it might sound, I am really enjoying this time with just the ole' farmer.  To be honest, before any of the kids had moved out, I was afraid of the "empty nest". 

My kids had created meaning for my life every single day. They had needs I could research and meet. They had aches and pains I could hug away. They had fascinating interests I could encourage and bright eyes for exciting events we could share.  For 23 of the the past 25 years of our marriage we've had kids around us. I was worried that when it was time for it to be just the two of us, we'd have nothing to connect us.

With apologies to my kids, whom I love very much, I am not experiencing what Wikipedia calls a "lonely, abandoned feeling" associated with empty nest syndrome.  In fact, our empty nest is a surprisingly comfortable place.

We've successfully launched our children,  and are experiencing a sense of mutual fulfillment.  It's something to celebrate this parental accomplishment of a job well done.  The reward for all our hard work is independent children.

And so tonight I celebrate my great success... with dribbling tears.

2 comments:

Bliss said...

That is a good feeling, it is know ing you have done a job well.
It is so nice to have them all home...but it is also a GREAT feeling to know that life goes on when they are where they should be...

Well done...
Bliss

krystle ann-marie said...

Don't worry Mom, I'm only 20 minutes away! 15 if you speed! ;) A lot closer then Cambridge was :)