Tuesday, August 18, 2009 | By: Anita

Suppertime

We enjoyed probably one the best meals I have ever made. BBQ'd sausage, baked potatoes, stir-fry vegetable medley (green peppers, onions & banana peppers), corn on the cob, and tomatoes, which all but the meat, came directly from our garden. 'taters, peppers and maters oh my!

Our conversations are never dull at the table either. Those boys of mine come up with interesting thoughts, ideas, and quite often will say some random line from a movie.

Like tonight, Kyle says in a sing-song voice "we represent the lolly-pop guild"
to which Darcy replies "if I represented the lolly-pop guild, there'd be some serious changes." ~ omigosh I laughed so hard

This then led into a discussion of the movie ~ The Wizard of OZ. We noted that the movie was made in 1939 and it was it black & white and in technicolour which for the time was quite an accomplishmemt. For a musical-fantasy film it captured the hearts of the young and the young at heart. As the story follows Dorothy living on a Kansas farm with her Aunt Uncle, she dreams of a better place "somewhere over the rainbow." She ends up in the colourful Land of OZ after being struck unconscious during a tornado. Once there she meets the Good Witch of the North, Glinda, who advises Dorothy to follow the yellow brick road to the Emerald City and meet the Wizard of Oz, who can return her to Kansas. During her journey, she meets a Scarecrow, a Tin Man, and a Cowardly Lion, who join her, hoping too that the Wizard can give them what they need (a brain, a heart and courage). All of this is done while also trying to avoid the Wicked Witch of the West and her attempt to get her sister's ruby slippers from Dorothy, who received them from Glinda. I always wanted a pair of ruby slippers, I loved that they were sparkly and magical. (maybe that's where my shoe fetish comes from ^.^)

This movie is one of my all time favourites and I remember watching it annually on TV. Now though, I usually end up watching it alone since Krystle is away, Kyle is afraid of the munchkins, Darcy thinks musicals are senseless and Wayne just ends up falling asleep. I think I'll go get my own copy, then I won't have to wait until it's on TV to watch it again.

Blessings

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahaha, you want to be Dorothy. :) ps. i secretly was in a play once.