Sunday, January 4, 2009 | By: Anita

a new beginning...

It seems with each New Year I celebrate, I think of new beginnings and with that things I'd like to implement into my life. To some they would be resolutions. In fact the top resolutions according to Wikipedia are: Lose Weight, Gain Weight, Get out of Debt, Save Money, Get a Better Job, Get Fit, Eat Right, Get a Better Education, Drink less Alcohol, Quit Smoking, Reduce Stress, Take a Trip, Volunteer to Help Others, Be Less Grumpy, Be more independent, Watch less violence, Learn something new.

The success rate has shown that "while 52% of participants in a resolution study were confident of success with their goals, only 12% actually achieved their goals. Men achieved their goal 22% more often when they engaged in goal setting, a system where small measurable goals are used (lose a pound a week, instead of saying "lose weight"), while women succeeded 10% more when they made their goals public and got support from their friends." quoted from wikipedia

So, what do I hope to change?

I'm reading the book "Fresh Brewed Life" by Nicole Johnson and one of pieces of homework we're to do is to write our own obituary. It might sound a bit morbid, but it really got me to thinking about the things I want people to say about me or to remember me by and to adjust my life accordingly and live that way.

The poem called "The Dash" is another reminder to live your life in the way you wish to be remembered.

So I hope to make lifestyle changes and choices to better who I am, not resolutions. To succeed, I need the support of my friends. Are you willing to support me?

Blessings

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the poem....
What a GREAT way to contimplate life.....Things continue to move so FAST but it is ALWAYS a good reminder not to rush things in life along...the dash between fills up fast with STUFF....we need to remember to fill that dash with GOOD times and good memories