Tuesday, September 28, 2010 | By: Anita

Lectio Divina

Heart to Heart is a women's ministry offered at the Zurich Mennonite church. It's open to all women, young, old, married, single, with or without kids. Each season (fall & spring) the committee plans faith studies during the 1st hour, and craft electives for the 2nd hour with a half-hour coffee break in between. It's a great opportunity to connect with many different women, it's open for any women that are able to go.

Joining this year was a big step for me, as I hadn't been a apart of this ministry since I started my job. The Lectio Divina faith elective that was offered though really caught my attention. What is Lectio? I hear you asking..... Wikipedia describes it ~ Lectio Divina is Latin for divine reading, spiritual reading, or "holy reading," and represents a traditional Christian practice of prayer and scriptural reading intended to promote communion with God and to increase in the knowledge of God's Word. It is a way of praying with Scripture that calls one to study, ponder, listen and, finally, pray and even sing and rejoice from God's Word, within the soul. It's an art that begins with cultivating the ability to listen deeply, to hear “with the ear of our hearts”. In order to hear someone speaking softly we must learn to be silent. We must learn to love silence. If we are constantly speaking or if we are surrounded with noise, we cannot hear gentle sounds. The practice of Lectio Divina, therefore, requires that we first quiet down in order to hear God's word to us.

The outcome or so I'm hoping for me is that, I have a deeper knowledge of scripture, of myself, of others and God, and to see all these in gradually increasing light of my faith.

Blessings

2 comments:

creating said...

I must say this interests me as well. The first time i heard of this was at a weekend silent retreat I attend about ten years ago.

Becky said...

Sounds like something we all need to take time to do, be still and listen to what God wants for us...
So glad you reconnected with this group i know it will be a blessing for you

Bliss