Tuesday, July 14, 2009 | By: Anita

One Day

I'm amazed at the difference one day can make.

Since it is not as busy in the office during the summer (and more busy around home) I had requested to take Mondays for the months of July & August as a day off and the hours that I normally work that day, I would transfer to the rest of week. I would still work the same number of hours, but I would do it in less days. So I had yesterday as a day off -- um, I mean I had yesterday as a day at home. I found it to be the day that made the difference.

With the never-ending list of chores to be done: laundry, cooking, baking, cleaning, lawn mowing, keeping the garden weed free. Then of course there is all the extra that we're doing as we get the farm in tip top shape for the wedding. I never realized how far we let things go..... little things, like the TV antenna - we've had a satellite dish for 8 years, so why did we leave the tower up? I don't know.... it was just one of those things. I had been feeling kind of down lately with all the work that needs to be done around home.

I've been reading through the book of Philippians each day as I try to put my life back into perspective. I was finding that I was allowing circumstances to determine whether or not I was happy. By reading and re-reading the book of Philippians it has begun to sink in that I will never be happy if I let circumstances determine it. I must learn to put my faith in the one who loves me beyond everything and be truly joyful as I rededicate myself to finding joy in Christ.

From my Life Application Study Bible the preface to the book of Philippians says:
"The word happiness evokes visions of unwrapping gifts on Christmas morning, strolling hand in hand with the one you love, being surprised on your birthday, responding with unbridled laughter to a comedian, or vacationing in an exotic locale. Everyone wants to be happy; we make chasing this elusive ideal a lifelong pursuit: spending money, collecting things, and searching for new experiences. But if happiness depends on our circumstances, what happens when the toys rust, loved ones die, health deteriorates, money is stolen, and the party's over? Often happiness flees and despair sets in. In contrast to happiness stands joy. Running deeper and stronger, joy is the quiet, confident assurance of God's love and work in our lives - that he will be there no matte what! Happiness depends on happenings but joy depends on Christ."
AMEN

Blessings

2 comments:

Becky said...

Good thing you have a year to do all this, and think how much more you will appreciate it when it is done...
just remember to take each day as it comes...enjoy the most of each day...and try not to think of the things that are yet to be done...
HA HA pretty profound...hope you catch the drift...
and remember your own advice of what does NOT get done today will still be there tomorrow to do ( or the next day or the next)
glad you were able to take time from your day to work at home to go out for lunch with your borhter and sisiter...(show you still have your priorities in the right place!!!
Blessings to you
enjoy your holiday with your kids ( and hubby)
Bliss

Anonymous said...

Wow! this is awesome! What a great reminder and I needed it...thanks.

Rain