Friday, August 29, 2014 | By: Anita

Sleepless in Zurich

It has been a long time since I have had nights like the last few. Perhaps you know the kind.
I was so tired. Not one ounce left in me. All I wanted to do was sleep and yet, sleep evaded me. I tossed and turned. I got up to walk around the house a bit, trying to keep as quiet as I could, had a cuppa tea, read my Bible, and sat there thinking that all this would surely help. It simply had to make me tired enough for sleep to come more easily.

All to no avail.

Why is it the nights can stretch long as if they have no end?

The dark and quiet enveloped me and all rationale thoughts had left. As the night stretches, longer and longer, my thoughts seem to go places I know they shouldn’t venture. Scenarios begin to raise up in my mind like a 3-D movie. Scenarios, which in the daylight I know are preposterous, and yet in the dark seem to become reality.  My heart pounds. My stomach tenses. The tears begin to roll.

There will be nights like these in my life. Seasons where the night is longer than a 24 hour day. Nights where the shadows seem to shout their “what if” scenarios in my head so loudly they seem to be fact. And thankfully, this is only a season and this too shall pass.

What do you do to help yourself go back to sleep?

Blessings


0 comments: