Thursday, August 14, 2014 | By: Anita

Liar, Liar, Liar

I lie to myself all the time. The thing is, I don’t even realize I’m doing it.

“You won’t ever measure up.” 
“You aren’t beautiful.” 
“You will never truly be loved.”

Or perhaps these are the phrases that taunt you.

“Maybe I should do more.”
“Maybe I should try harder.”
“Maybe I should perform a little better.”

Thoughts like these run through our minds, and in return we run through life never quite feeling like we are enough. What if we don’t live up to our potential? Wouldn’t that be the biggest waste?   Sometimes these sentences come from simple conversations with strangers, and sometimes the words come from the mouth of a loved one. But if I’m being real honest, most of the time these unkind words ~ these lies ~ they come from me.

Hear the lie loud and clear: You will never truly be loved. Who you are is not good enough. You see, it sounded like a lie until I had a reason to believe it. Those words went from being a passing thought to something I began to believe as truth.

Here’s what God says:
You are fearfully and wonderfully made. Psalm 139:14
You are holy and without blame before Him in love. Ephesians 1:4
You are created in the very image of God! Genesis 1:27
You have been given the mind of Christ! 1 Corinthians 2:16
Nothing can separate you from the Love of Christ!  Romans 8:35
Your name is written in the Book of Life. Philippians 4:3
You can do all things through Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:13
Your life is hidden in Christ! Colossians 3:3
He has given you a new name that no one knows except for Him. Isaiah 62:2
You are the light of the world. Matthew 5:14
You are greatly loved by God. Romans 1:7
You are forgiven of all sins and washed in the Blood. Ephesians 1:7

And there’s more, oh so much more
Do we see ourselves as God sees us?

I struggle with self-doubt and I tend to be insecure, comparing my behind-the-scenes to everyone else’s front and center, believing that I don’t measure up and I’m not good enough. We have each been given talents and gifts and passions.

Having the confidence to believe in ourselves doesn’t come easily for a lot of us. We often limit ourselves because we don’t feel like our gifts or talents are good enough, or that other people are better than us. We don’t give things a go because we hold ourselves back through fear and lack of self-belief. Yet, God doesn’t want us to live like this. He wants us to have the faith to believe that we CAN do it and see us develop into the people He created us to be.

And yes, my friends, it will be enough.

What are your gifts? Are you using them or are you paralyzed by the lies? 

Blessings

1 comments:

Debra said...

What's wrong with me? Why can't I get it right? I think I'm plagued by those questions everyday. Love that you have all the verses to remind us we were meant for so much more the to beat ourselves up everyday.