Saturday, January 12, 2013 | By: Anita

5 Lessons in Life

Have you ever taken a look at yourself and thought, “Girl, you’re so messed up, I can barely stand you?” I’m not talking about staring down a mirror and complaining about the shape of your nose or the crow’s feet perched beside your eyes.

I’m referring to moments when you simply don’t like yourself.

The times when you feel awkward, inadequate, friendless and unwanted. The days when your best efforts reel in disappointment instead of accolades. Moments when your actions beget disapproval and your voice crawls timid down your throbbing throat.

Perhaps the bitter feelings toward yourself surfaced after you made a mistake. Maybe you found yourself stirring a pot when you only intended to sprinkle in some seeds of goodwill. Instead of feeling like you’ve made a mistake, you might feel like you are a mistake. I’ve been there before.

For many of the battles I fought during my life, I found my most formidable opponent to be myself:
Each time I owned an error I didn’t make, I delivered a quick jab to my left
When dredged up past guilt, I landed a hook punch to my jaw
And, whenever I believed a lie about my self-worth, I dealt a severe uppercut that sent me wobbling to the floor


Time and time again I go to that miserable place where I slap on a label that reads “misfit” instead of proudly displaying the one emblazoned with “beloved.”

They tell me that I’m God’s child. That I am beautiful, wanted … adored. They tell me that I have a purpose.

I like these 5 lessons in Life from Dr. Seuss:
One reason why I share such personal anecdotes on my blog is because I know I’m not alone. I know that many of the experiences and feelings that are etched into my life are shared by others. I’m hoping that when I bring light to my own issues, I can help others feel less alienated and more whole.


Blessings

0 comments: