Friday, November 13, 2009 | By: Anita

Chess

Chess is a board game played between two players. A game of strategic thinking, not much dialogue, but great times with another person.
Taking alternate turns moving one piece at a time (with the exception of castling, when two pieces are moved simultaneously). Pieces are moved to either an unoccupied square, or one occupied by an opponent's piece, capturing it and removing it from play.

My dad taught me the game of chess. With White always moving first, I usually took white, hoping beyond all things that would give me the advantage. =)

Learning the moves of each of the pieces which have their own unique way of moving was a lot to remember.
• The pawn can only move forward one step at a time except the first step it takes can be a two-stepper. It captures the opponent by moving diagonally, then continues forward one step at a time.
• The Rook (castle) can move forward, backward and sideways as many spaces wanted.
• The Knight (horse) moves either two steps forward with one step sideways, or one step forward with two steps sideways, of course it can can forward or backwards.
• The Bishop can only move diagonally either forwards or backwards.
• The Queen can move forwards/backwards/diagonally/sideways and as many spaces as needed.
• The King can only move one space at any time in any direction.
The objective of the game is to checkmate the opponent. This occurs when a move places the opponent's king in check, and there is no way to move the king into a 'safe' space.

Over time with my Dad's great patience, I became a good competitor for him. I too have taught my kids to play, making them good competitors for me & my Dad. Darcy is the one most taken with the game and he & I have played Chess many times over the last few years. We're pretty evenly matched, making each game interesting, creating great memories together.

Last night was one such time. We danced around each other on the chess board moving our pieces in hopes to catch the other's king for about one hour. We made several attempts to place each other's King in check and then whoosh, I had Darcy's King in checkmate. Blessings

0 comments: