Saturday, May 31, 2008 | By: Anita

Moon-lighting


I've been working at Huron Ridge Acres for the last couple of weeks. I had been talking to Lorraine and she mentioned how busy they are and were looking for someone to work afternoons & evening for the month of May when they are open from 8am - 8pm. I thought this might be something that I could do, since I had worked at the greenhouse off & on before. I worked there before I was married and during the busy season when my kids were all in school.

I started mid-May learning the cash register and re-familiarizing myself with the plants & products.


Pansies - Plants grow well in sunny or partially sunny positions in well draining soils. They can survive light freezes and short periods of snow cover. Pansies should be watered thoroughly about once a week.



Geraniums - which is one of the most common ornamental potted-plants, with over 200 varieties and are extremely popular garden plants, grown as annuals in temperate climates.





Osteospernum flower - probably my favourite! - These daisy-like flowers thrive in a part sun/shade environment. Needing well-drained moderately moist soil, they will continue to bloom throughout the summer season.












Petunias - A wide range of flower colors and sizes are available. If growing petunias, it's best to leave them in full sunlight and only water them when their soil is dry to the touch.




I've noticed that when I put on the greenhouse shirt, I somehow became an 'expert'. I mean I do know my stuff but I'm no expert, that would be Aunt Carol. Although, I was amazed at how quickly it all came back to me from working there before.
But in reality I'm just someone who happens to be in the greenhouse moonlighting, and it's been fun. I'm already looking forward to next year when I can work there again.

Blessings

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay! pink & purple are my favourite for flowers! and the girl in the picture doesn't look half bad either ;) how are our planted pots doing? still living?
xox

Anonymous said...

We can't wait to have you back! Thanks so much for taking some of the load off and having so much fun doing it!

Rain

Anonymous said...

so when are you going to help me pick out my flowers?
I still have NOT been to a nursery yet this season.....and have NO IDEAS>>>>
thanks for the flowering tips
Bliss